Friday, December 18, 2009

My Eye Wellness Exam

I was constantly complaining of headaches for nearly a month. And i so vainly refused to go see a doctor. Finally, my hubby who got tired of my complaints( well, mostly coz his food on the table was becoming a thing of the past during the headache spells. Men afterall ) fixed an appointment , for the eye wellness exam, with the optician who runs a store in the neighbouring mall.I dragged my self to the store on chilly and cold saturday.Not that i had to stuff myself with jacket or coat. There's a service lift which leads directly to the mall. Thankfully, the store wasn't filled with customers like any other day.

After been given a form to fill with the usual questions, i was shown to a dark room and made to sit in front of a tonometer(which measures the fluid pressure in your eyes). One by one, i was asked to focus on the "corn field with the man in a tractor" picture without blinking. I didnt realise what was coming. The next thing i know is "puff".It was a gush of air . Then when i staring with my left eye, i nearly blinked before the gush. I thought, that's all!! Wow. The last time i had my eye test, had some eye drops into my eyes and waited till eyes were dialated. I was happy that i was done with it. The doctor then asked me to wait for her in the next room which contained the Phoroptor ( the equipment used to test the refractive error in the eyes by using different lenses.)


The doctor's first question before checking my eyes again were, if i had a baby recently. When i said "Yes", her next question really quizzed me. "Are you pregnant again or planning on becoming pregnant soon?" I laughed and said,"Definitely not now doctor". But yet i was spared the eye drops as i had recently had a baby.She gave a smile and quoted an anecdote. She had a patient who was pregnant for yearly eye tests for seven consequtive years. Her reason was that her husband came home on vacation only during Christmas and you know how cold it is. Both of us were laughing and feeling sorry for the lady.


Later she started testing my eyes with different lenses. I had to read the different sized alphabets from the chart hung on the far wall. Well, i had a very good mind to play the fool with the doctor and say, " I can't read anything" and after all her questioning say, "Sorry doc, i cant read English". Haha. Silly joke i know.


In reality, i got all the letters in the last row( which were really really minuite) except the last letter. I told her i was not sure if it was an "O" or a "C". Finally i settled for "O" which was actually a "C". Then i had to go through another 10 mintues of testing which different lenses. Final analysis was, well i was short sighted in one eye and has a focus problem in the other. Wow. For all the headaches, i had problems. I started to wear the prescribed glasses during my time in front of my laptop or my when im reading which makes it practically all day.


But still just a little thing was nagging me. What if i had guessed the last little letter as "C"? Would she have stopped my further testing and declared me with 20/20 vision? Was the whole testing just a matter of a guessing game?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home